A new year of testing began at the mouth of Rock Run on January 5. The final numbers from 2019 showed an improvement in average alkalinity from 5.3 in 2018 to 6.2 in 2019.
The flow was moderately high and clear with some fresh snow on the ground.
Air Temperature: 27 degrees F
Water Temperature: 37.5 degrees F
Linn Run Gauge: 2.38
Beautiful but cold, would describe conditions at the mouth of Rock Run this month as a light coating of snow greeted the testers.
Air Temperature – 29 degrees F
Water Temperature – 35.5 degrees F
pH – 6.8
Alkalinity – 8.2
Linn Run Gauge Height – 1.88
Linn Run Discharge – 14.8
Leaves are falling, the sun is low on the horizon, trout are on the move and taking up spawning positions. Here’s the numbers from Rock Run for November 2019.
Air Temperature – 46 degrees F
Water Temperature – 43.5 degrees F
Linn Run Gauge – 1.47
pH – 6.6
Alkalinity – 12.8
pH is steady, alkalinity is still good at 12.8.
Here’s the numbers taken October 2, 2019
Air Temperature – 76 Degrees F
Water Temperature – 65.5 Degrees F
pH – 6.7
Alkalinity – 15.8
Linn Run Gauge – 1.35
Linn Run Discharge – 1.95
Alkalinity numbers have spiked upwards since limestone was added in August. Could it be from the limestone more than 2 miles upstream, or is it just from lack of rain and low flow, or maybe both?
This month’s flow was the lowest recorded in the 2 years we have been doing the monthly tests.
If you look at the monthly photos, you will notice more and more black rocks starting in July. These rocks were probably flipped over from high flow from heavy rain in June and July. Click the link RR PH and Alkalinity 2019 for the results from the past year.
Flow goes down, alkalinity goes up. Here’s the Rock Run numbers for September 2109 (taken 8-31-19).
Lowest flow measured so far in 2019.
Air Temperature – 66 degrees F
Water Temperature – 61.5 degrees F
Linn Run Gauge – 1.44
Linn Run Discharge – 3.03
pH – 6.6
Alkalinity – 9.9
Flow – Low and Clear
Last Rain – 8-28-19
After two cancellations due to wet conditions, we were finally able to get the limestone sand into position in the headwaters of Rock Run. The high calcium limestone sand (26 tons, $1,500 – your raffle fundraiser dollars at work) was delivered back on May 6 but we had to wait for conditions up on Laurel Mountain to be right in order to move the sand to the banks of the east fork of Rock Run.
The sand will gradually be swept downstream with rain and runoff becoming a part of the stream bed – acting as a buffer for acid precipitation.
We owe Linn Run Park Manager Doug Finger and his staff a big thank you for their help. Doug was able to bring in some heavy equipment making the work even possible. Even with a front loader and dump bed pick-up, it was a lot of work with Doug making numerous trips with the truck himself.
Ralph Koscianski, Denny Hess and Larry Myers of FTTU were there to help out. With this load, we will be set for at least a couple of years.
Here’s the numbers for our monthly water testing at the mouth of Rock Run.
Air Temperature: 76 degrees F
Water Temperature: 62 degrees F
Linn Run Gauge: 1.73
Linn Run Discharge: 5.84
Alkalinity tends to improve when the flow goes down. This was the lowest flow on our testing days for the year by the Linn Run gauge.
Check out the results from 2018-2109 here – RR Alkalinity.
The workday for Rock Run that had been cancelled twice due to wet conditions has been rescheduled for Monday, August 5, 2019, weather permitting. The goal is to move the limestone sand that was delivered in May to position along the stream banks in the headwaters.
If you want to help out or just want to observe and learn more about the project, we are meeting at 9 a.m. at the Linn Run State Park office which is located on Linn Run Road.
Until further notice, the work day scheduled for Monday, July 22, 2019 at Rock Run has been cancelled due to wet conditions.
We were planning on moving the recent shipment of limestone sand into position along the stream in the headwaters, but the ground is too wet for the equipment to get to where the sand is located.
At this time there is no new date. Once conditions improve, we will reschedule.